Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ten Years Ago Today...

I was probably doing what I plan to be doing this evening...SOFTBALL!

I grew up playing softball and if I may say so myself, I was a pretty decent player. I played every different position except first base (I blame it on my height!) throught out my "career" ;) My absolute favorite, and the one I played the longest was second base. I loathed pitching, but my Mom, who was also my coach at that point, wanted to be able to count on someone on our team to be a decent pitcher, which meant her own daughter therefore trained to do so. Unfortunately for her, I was absolutely terrified of the ball coming at me from such a short distance... so when I did pitch, every time the ball was released from my hand, I ducked. True story.

This evening is our company softball game- Children's Services vs. Foster Parents! I'm really excited about it, but also pretty nervous. I used to be very athletic, but that was many many pounds and now years ago! The last time I played softball in a game, I found that I was very afraid of the ball now (that didn't happen when I was younger and more agile!). Scott is playing on the foster parent team tonight because they needed more players and he's awesome, so I would like to prove to him that I do have some athletic ability... he's never seen me play any sport. We played catch once last summer and that went kind of poorly because he naturally throws hard and I'm naturally afraid of the ball. There might have been some ducking, again.

So anyway, tonight is the big game and I'm going to do my best. I hope they don't put me in outfield because I'm not fast and I hate chasing the ball. At least if I'm in infield, if I miss it it becomes someone else's problem. :) I'm going to try to remember all of the coaching my Mom provided me... now ten years ago. She was a great coach that all of the players loved. She made softball a blast, taught us how to play and win as a team, and encouraged us to play the best 'ball that we could. So, Mom, please don't be mad at me if I happen to duck. I'll try not to, I promise. The ball just comes so fast!

1 comment:

felicitouschick said...

You GO girl! I want to hear all about it! :)